Disillusioned US citizens in several states have begun the process of filing for secession from either the US, or from their current state government. They have many divergent reasons for rejecting their current government, with secessionist Vermonters demanding new conditions that secessionist Coloradans would reject outright. The one thing that unites them is that they want out, with the freedom to create the conditions of government that they believe will suit them.
Here are two lists of secessionist groups, the first from Pat Buchanan:
- The five counties of Western Maryland — Garrett, Allegheny, Washington, Frederick and Carroll, which have more in common with West Virginia and wish to be rid of Baltimore and free of Annapolis, are talking secession.
- Ten northern counties of Colorado are this November holding non-binding referenda to prepare a future secession from Denver and the creation of America’s 51st state.
- In California, which many have long believed should be split in two, the northern counties of Modoc and Siskyou on the Oregon border are talking succession — and then union in a new state called Jefferson.
- Folks on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, bordered by Wisconsin and the Great Lakes, which is connected to lower Michigan by a bridge, have long dreamed of a separate state called Superior. The UP has little in common with Lansing and nothing with Detroit.
- … in Vermont the secessionists seem of the populist left. The Montpelier Manifesto of the Second Vermont Republic concludes:
“Citizens, lend your names to this manifesto and join in the honorable task of rejecting the immoral, corrupt, decaying, dying, failing American Empire and seeking its rapid and peaceful dissolution before it takes us all down with it.”
- South Carolina
- New York City
- Staten Island
- Second Vermont Republic
- West Kansas
- Superior (Michigans Upper Peninsula)
- South Florida
- East Washington
- Baja Arizona
In Europe, the spirit of secession is also growing:
The spirit of secession, the desire of peoples to sever ties to nations to which they have belonged for generations, sometimes for centuries, and to seek out their own kind, is a spreading phenomenon.
Scotland is moving toward a referendum on independence from England, three centuries after the Acts of Union. Catalonia pushes to be free of Madrid. Milanese and Venetians see themselves as a European people apart from Sicilians, Neapolitans and Romans.
Dutch-speaking Flanders wants to cut loose of French-speaking Wallonia in Belgium …
What are the forces pulling nations apart? Ethnicity, culture, history and language — but now also economics. _LewRockwell.com
One other type of secessionist movement which the popular media are not likely to discuss: The secession of black majority US states or regions from the US. Inside US inner cities, militant black nationalist groups are rumored to be collecting impressive weapons arsenals, sometimes accidentally aided by the billions of dollars of US federal funding shunted to community organizing groups under Obama. These stockpiles of firearms and explosives are not likely to be raided under the Obama DOJ.
In the US south, cities such as Birmingham and Jackson may as well have already seceded, except for the constant flow of capital from more productive areas into the bottomless pit of corrupt local governments. The same phenomenon of outside taxpayer financed “quasi-secession” of black municipal governments is occurring in Detroit and other northern and northeastern US cities with overwhelming black majorities, and corrupt nepotistic black dominated governments.
It is not clear whether US President Obama’s ruinous domestic and foreign policies have been oriented toward causing a catastrophic economic failure of the US, a breakup of the union into multiple weaker pieces, a general weakening of the US vis a vis outside powers, or an all-out race war / cultural war between more productive sections of the country and freeloading pockets of corruption. At this point, the evidence could point toward any of the above.
The contradiction that dooms the modern gun control movement. Ignoring the key issues is par for the course for the ideologically driven.
Be careful out there. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.